I have been super busy working on the yard this week, but have no excuse not to post today since it is raining yet again... this blasted Utah weather!
I am thrilled to share with you the final reveal of the french dresser I completed for my darling Sister in law, Willow. I have to tell you, this project gave me a run for my money with several challenges I ran into. I am so happy to be able to finally show a beautiful finished product.
As a reminder, or for those who are stopping by for the first time today, here is the before:
As with many of my transformations, the top was stripped and re stained a deep color to match some of her existing Ethan Allen Wood furniture. (this was the process that about killed me but through trial and error we ended with a beautiful finished product). I will share the process after the pics.
Gorgeous stained wood top that shows several imperfections, adding to its charm and character
I ever so lightly distressed the corners and high points to bring out some of the white hiding underneath and in places some of the natural wood.
Full angle of the gorgeous stained wood top
Crystal knobs purchased at Anthropologie (hey, some things are worth a splurge...)HERE. They absolutely make the piece (though they were a pain in my rear end to install) You know I love you, Willow! :)
I am thrilled with the way this piece turned out and can't wait to see it in Willow's master bedroom once her makeover is complete.
Here's how I transformed this piece.
- I lightly sanded down the dresser and drawers to get rid of all of the pieces of sawdust/ dirt that had been painted over.
- I stripped the poly, glaze and paint from the top slab of wood. I have found that stripper works best if you first sand your piece to get rid of the top protective coat. Once I sanded it down, I applied a VERY THICK layer of Citristrip with a paint brush in the direction of the grain.
- I used a toothbrush with mineral spirits again to try and scrub as much paint as I could out of the dings that were on top and too deep to sand off.
- Next, I applied wood conditioner using a clean cloth (leftover drop cloth from this chair) and followed it with a coat of minwax stain in Dark Walnut.