Remember these fabulous curtains I revamped for my Master Bedroom Makeover?
Here's what they looked like before:
Here's why I needed to make a change:
My existing curtains were plain white Pottery Barn canvas curtains with grommets. I loved the simplicity about them but was disappointed that I didn't know when I purchased them to buy them based on the height of my ceilings, not the height of my window. Longer curtains make your window seem much larger, and your ceilings taller. I was eager to accomplish both with our small window.
I also had originally hung a curtain rod that barely covered the window. The rod didn't extend past the window on either side, so even when the curtains were completely open they still covered part of my window. Big woops. Because we use our curtains for a purpose and not just for decor, I needed to have a full rod (in lieu of mini rods on each side, which is a fantastic way to create an expensive look for less $). By extending the rod on both sides, I would be able to push my curtains away from the window (barely covering it) to create the illusion of a much wider window.
I also wanted to bring in a pattern that wasn't too feminine, and something more modern to balance out the vintage and feminine touches. I considered using the leftover black and cream damask fabric that I used for our French Wingback Chair but decided it would be too harsh of a contrast against the white, particularly in a bedroom with such a neutral pallet.
Once I decided on this fantastic print by Waverly, Cross Section in charcoal, I went to work.
This fabric was super difficult for me to find, and ended up buying the last 7/8 yard in Utah.... no joke. I have found it for the lowest price online HERE at fabric.com for about $9/ yard, but it is rarely in stock. Joann fabrics carries the exact same print (by PKauffman) for a much higher price of $25/yard and can be purchased HERE. Never pay full price for fabric through Joann. Their home decor fabrics are almost always on sale for 50% off, or you can use their 40% off coupon.
First, I ironed my existing curtains and new fabric well.
Second, I cut my existing curtains 6" down from the seam below the grommets (this can be whatever number you choose- I decided to do it low enough that I still had a significant amount of white at top and so that that I didn't have to sew in new grommets or loops).
|Image shows Krylon- I actually used Rustoleum, my Krylon was almost out|
Linking up to: