Sunday, December 5, 2010

Homemade OREOS for the big 3-0


My Sweets turned 30 this week. That's right, the big 3-0. I realize this may not seem like a big deal to many of you but for me it was huge. I'm a surprise person and like to go big or go home, but my hubbs doesn't enjoy being in the spotlight so he specifically asked that I not do anything big for him this year. Unfortunately I had to respect his wishes. I did however still want to show him that we loved him so Trav and I baked his favorite cookies, homemade ORES (recipe below) and surprised him with those at his office. He was lucky that we were in a huge hurry once the cookies were finished so I wasn't able to pick up balloons for him as I had planned.

We went to a local restaurant, Virg's for a very casual birthday dinner with our good friends Aaron and Shay and all the kiddos. With a menu varying from fish and chips to french toast and eggs to a chile verde burrito, everyone was happy.

We did some serious Christmas shopping this weekend and scored at the DI when my sweets found one of our new favorite games, Scrutineyes. It was in great condition and only cost $2. We had a blast playing it with friends last night, and finished off our weekend fun watching Eclipse.

I have been forced to take a break from my wingback chair since I ran out of batting and Joann was out the last time I went, but did start another project in the meantime refinishing these phenomenal Henredon nightstands I bought off of ksl. Stay tuned for pics on the projects...

Homemade OREO cookies
Cookies
2 boxes Devils Food Cake mix
1.5 cups shortening
4 eggs

Mix well, and roll into nickle sized balls. Press each ball down flat with the back of a spatula, and bake for 8 minutes at 350 degrees. Allow to cool on a wire rack before filling with heaven.
Filling
8 oz. softened cream cheese
1/2 cup softened butter
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups powdered sugar

Beat first three ingredients together, slowly add sugar. Beat well. Fill each cookie with spoonful of filling.
*** Warning- these cookies are HIGHLY addictive and oh-so-rich. Over-indulgence may occur. ***

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I can't wait to hear from you! If you have any detailed questions, please feel free to email me- LittleMissPennyWenny@gmail.com. Thanks!