Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas Baking- Final Day 5

How is your Christmas baking going? Today is the final day for my Christmas baking post. I had to go out with a classic, Butter Toffee. My mom's traditional recipe uses pecans. I made a batch of this, but also experimented on a second batch with smoked almonds and some dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate. I am loving the saltiness of the smoked almonds in everything right now. You can choose which option tickles your fancy more but I am certain that you will be happy with either one in the end. :)

Butter Toffee

Ingredients:
1 LB butter (yes- 1 full pound. Don't worry the calories don't count when you boil it)
6 TBS hot water
2 cups sugar
2 TBS light corn syrup
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups chopped nuts (either pecans or smoked almonds)
12 oz package chocolate chips (I used milk for one batch and 1/2 dark, 1/2 semi-sweet for another batch)


Line a cookie sheet with half of the chopped nuts.

In heavy pan combine butter, water, sugar, corn syrup, salt and butter. I would not suggest using a nice non-stick pan. I use a big old heavy pan for candy. Cook over medium to medium high heat on stove, stirring occasionally till butter has melted. Using a candy thermometer, cook until temperature reaches the soft crack stage, approximately 275 degrees. The candy should turn to a golden color, and you should barely begin to smell a slight "burnt" smell but not so much that it actually is burning. You'll know when it gets to that point.

Not quite there yet but starting to turn golden

Remove from heat, and pour mixture over the chopped nuts.

While the candy is still hot, sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top.

Wait for about 5 minutes for the chocolate to melt, then spread the chocolate with a spatula. Top with remaining nuts.

Refrigerate until completely cooled, approximately 30 min. Break into pieces with a butter knife.

Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I can't wait to hear from you! If you have any detailed questions, please feel free to email me- LittleMissPennyWenny@gmail.com. Thanks!