Monday, January 17, 2011

Mrs. Field's Copycat Oatmeal Cookies

Have you ever wished you could eat clam chowder without the clams, or chocolate chip cookies without the chocolate chips?  I used to beg my mom for each of those as a kid (to name a few).  I don't like clams (at all) and I don't love chocolate (yes I know- everyone in the world thinks this is insane).  I just always felt like the chocolate flavor overpowered the cookie.  I was ecstatic when my sister Amanda first introduced us all to this copycat Mrs. Field's Oatmeal Cookie recipe.  It's made with oatmeal, but has a totally different texture because the oats are blended. 


There are many versions of this out there that add grated hershey bar, chocolate chips, nuts, and coconut flakes.  Don't get me wrong, those are all fabulous ingredients and I make several cookie recipes with the same ingredients.  However, there is something so delicious about the simplicity of this cookie.  It tastes so good by itself that it really just doesn't even need all of the extras.  They are sweet, buttery, and chewy.  I must warn you that they are also extremely addicting.  I hope you love them as much as I do.

Mrs. Field's Copycat Oatmeal Cookies

Ingredients

picture shows ingredients for a half recipe- you will need two eggs and two cubes of butter... and pretend the coconut flakes aren't there since I just went off about not using them.  Sometimes they are fun for an added flavor and texture but I usually don't use them.  The rest of the pictures don't include the coconut flakes.
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup melted butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups oatmeal

Directions
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Blend oatmeal until it turns into a thick powder, approximately 1 cup at a time; set aside. 

Cream butter and sugar in Bosch or electric mixer. 

                                      
Add eggs, one at a time beating well. 

Mix in dry ingredients, mix well. 


Roll into tablespoon size balls and place on lightly greased cookie sheet, approximately 12 per sheet. 

Bake for approximately 10 minutes.  You don't want these to turn golden.  They are the best when they are still soft and chewy.  Over baking makes them crunchy and hard.


Enjoy with a tall glass of milk (I won't blame you for drinking whole milk if you ran out of 1% and had no other choice but to drink your toddler's milk... I, on the other hand would never do such a thing).


~PW

P.S.
This darling Polo Ralph Lauren shirt was a $2 steal I found at my local DI this week.  It is in perfect condition.  He wasn't thrilled about modeling it before church but you get the idea...



I sure love that little stinker boy.

1 comment:

  1. Your DI finds are AMAZING. and he is seriously SO cute! So is that shirt! and yummy cookies!!

    ReplyDelete

I can't wait to hear from you! If you have any detailed questions, please feel free to email me- LittleMissPennyWenny@gmail.com. Thanks!